The perception of the past and the future.

I always wonder, the reason why I would mourn over the past; and never really look at the present or the future. Why, I always look at the things that I could have done better, or things I don't have, or occasions I missed - yet never really learn, realize and cherish the present, or embrace the future.

Yet at the same time, I would be so anxious of the unknown - the future. Again, never really focus on the things that I have in hand right now, right at this very second.

I had asked myself before, the possible reasons behind this - I know very well, that I always ponder with regrets and fear of failure. These factors, may seem to be a plausible "motivational" factor - that I regret something of the past, fear of failure in the future, so I should be working hard to avoid both of those negative emotions. Yet, those thoughts had never really bury inside my mind. In other words, those were my source of hope destruction, rather than motivational pushes.

Possibly, it is like what was stated in Harre's book - Fredrickson's theory of positive & negative emotions. Negative emotions pinpoint out the problem and its need for a solution, or rather leave us hopeless; positive emotions on the other hand, shines a light upon us, that there is something we can do to improve or at least not to make things worse.

I am also being reminded of a phrase from Adler (I think), that I wasn't sure if I had ever posted in this blog before. Yet, I felt that I did before - because it served as such a good reminder and lesson for myself:

The past does not shape us, but rather the present thought of the past do so.

-Jas-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you believe...(1)

Love (2)

Maturity (1)